Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Dave Mason

Dave Mason at BB King's in Manhattan in December, and though it wasn't his best show. But it was truly heads and tails above most of the other shows we see. Mason first hit it big here with Traffic in 1967 and released his first solo album Alone Together in 1970. He has been making some of the best and most interesting music ever since.

He even joined Fleetwood Mac for a time, and participated in one of their best albums, Time (1995). I'd even had the pleasure of standing on stage in the mid-70s at one of his shows, and he just blew me away (and, believe me, I was already blown away!). I gave him quite the historical write up several columns back and believe me, I meant every word of it. The man's music is awe inspiring.

But in retrospect, I guess a day doesn't go by when he doesn't hear one of his songs on the radio. The new album, 26 Letters - 12 Notes, I am very, very happy to say, has songs that mark showcase him at his peak. The leadoff track "Good 2U" just sizzles; it's classic Mason. "Let Me Go" and the soulful "How Do I Get To Heaven" are standouts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share