Monday, May 18, 2009

Barbara Mandrell

Barbara Mandrell, Roy Clark and Charlie McCoy were inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame on Sunday in an at times emotional ceremony that saluted them for their music as well as their contributions to bringing the genre to a mass audience through television. "All three of tonight's inductees looked at the way country music was presented on television and said: 'We can make this even better. We can present country music to a mainstream audience with respect, love and humor," said Tammy Genovese, the Country Music Association's chief executive officer.
Clark co-hosted the TV show "Hee Haw" with Buck Owens for more than two decades. Mandrell joined sisters Louise and Irlene to host "Barbara Mandrell and the Mandrell Sisters" on NBC in 1980. McCoy, an ace session musician, served as musical director of "Hee Haw" for 18 years. Mandrell, 60, gave special thanks to her late father and longtime manager, Irby Mandrell, who died in March at age 84. She said she was grateful her father lived to hear of her pending induction.
"Irby Mandrell was my manager as well as being my Daddy over my 38-year career. He taught me and guided me and directed me. It is his name, Mandrell, that I am blessed to have, and it's the gracious loving public and the fans that made that name known and made it become popular," she said in her emotional speech. "So tonight I thank you with my entire being for putting my and my Daddy's name into the Hall of Fame." The three were honored in a tribute that included performances by Garth Brooks, Reba McEntire, George Jones, Alison Krauss, Josh Turner, Michael McDonald, Rodney Crowell and others. With the inductions, the Hall of Fame now has 108 members.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share