Wednesday, October 21, 2009

steve phillips

steve phillips
Former Mets G.M. and current ESPN analyst Steve Phillips, during his visit with Dennis & Callahan Show on Tuesday morning, said he expects the Red Sox hanging tancadores Jonathan Papelbon in the commercial market, and believes that the media used pitching win.
“I think if Papelbon is available, and I think he will be, I think there will be a significant market for him and teams will really step up,” said Phillips. “When you look at the Bobby Jenkses of the world who might be available via trade, and guys like that, Fernando Rodney is a free agent, Papelbon stands out as a difference maker. If I’m the Red Sox, I look at the arm that [Daniel] Bard has. They know his stomach better than anybody. I know they see that at some point he’s a closer. I take that shot. I trade Papelbon, take that money, re-invest it somewhere else, and really, instead of dip in the free-agent market – which is not a great free-agent market this year – utilize a trade to be able to really impact [the team]. I think it’s critical.”
Phillips also held that, as the GM, but will continue Jason Bay or Matt Holliday, the two Prime Sluggers in the free agent market this Offseason. Phillips based its assessment on Bay proven ability to succeed in a market and a great opportunity that Red Sox outfielder is less than Holliday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bookmark and Share